Monday, January 24, 2011

Bits and bobs from Costa Rica

I've been kind of out of the habit of journaling about our life here in Costa Rica. In between Christmas, New Year's, my birthday, leaving for Haiti, coming back from Haiti, my parents arriving, and B leaving for three weeks of medical school interviews in the U.S., it's been a crazy month!


When I got back from Haiti, the four of us (Mom, Dad, B, me) took a four-day trip to see some of the sights in Costa Rica: Poas Volcano, Arenal Volcano, La Paz Waterfalls and many of the crazy, curvy, beautiful roads and tiny towns in Costa Rica.  


Courtesy: Destination360.com
Near Poas, we stayed at an awesome bed and breakfast, Poas Lodge, where I totally fell in love with the puppy there (Snookie - no relations to "Jersey Shore!"), the amazing view of the Central Valley, and the Chai tea lattes.  On the way up to our next stop, we swung by Sarchi, a historic artisan town best known for making Costa Rica's oxcarts since 1903.


Courtesy: Fodors.com
After Poas, we headed up north to Arenal Volcano and Chachagua Rainforest Lodge.  Each of us had a little cabin with a great front porch - and a hammock! Good for lots of naps (as long as the mosquitos weren't biting!) Sadly though, the most we could see of the volcano was the fog that was out that night.  We'll have to make a return trip soon! I've heard, if you catch it on the right night, it can look like this:


Courtesy: ArenalOnline.com
Everyone say "Oooooh! Ahhhhh!" The tour guide told us the best time to go would be March, April or September.  


We got back late last night, and we've been spending time tooling around San Jose (I'm off for two weeks trying to catch my breath from a crazy year of work. Yes, I said year of work. Phew!).  One of my favorite views today: this sweet old man feeding the pigeons in downtown San Jose.  Despite the fact that I think pigeons more closely resemble rats with wings, I still thought this man was sweet.






Will start editing through the pictures of our adventures in the next week. More to come!



No comments: