Monday, August 29, 2011

What one thing would you give up?

My day job covering disasters (and my former life as a journalist) means that I'm usually right in the middle of some of the worst humanitarian crises happening around the world every single day.  And sometimes that can be overwhelming.


Other times, I remember, like the story of the starfish, that even if I can do just one thing today to help make someone else's life better, I am making the world a better place and honoring the "least of these." 
“..Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40
Instead of getting discouraged about the tragedy, the injustice, the chaos that I see all around me, I want my life to be like the starfish story.  So today, I want to ask myself again: what one thing would I give up to help someone else? I'm still thinking about what my one thing will be.  Maybe a meal? Maybe a Starbucks or a trip to Target? Simple, I know, but I want to do something more. 


Join the conversation with World Vision and challenge yourself, your friends, your colleagues, your church buddies, your children to give up ONE thing today, this week or this month to help support World Vision's emergency relief efforts in the Horn of Africa.


You can make it your Facebook profile pic here.  Or get some more ideas by reading this blog here.  Or even just text "FAMINE" to 20222 to give $10 to the cause.  


What one thing would you give up?






1 comment:

katy groth said...

Very inspirational Loey. I am going to do what you said and see if anyone will join me and skip lunch to raise awareness!