Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 years later...

I remember waking up that morning in my college apartment on K Street, and turning on NBC's TODAY Show like I did every morning.  Only that morning was different.  As I sat and watched the news unfold, saw the towers fall, and walked slowly into campus in the heart of Washington, D.C., life - and the world as we knew it until that morning - had dramatically changed.  


Laura Blank, Maine, 2010
To honor the memory of those who gave their lives that day, I listened as the names were read, one by one, at Ground Zero this morning.  And I watched this moving tribute to a young man named Welles Remy Crowther, the "man with the red bandana," who gave his life to help at least a dozen other people to safety.  Welles was the nephew of a teacher at my high school in Ohio, and this powerful story of bravery, duty, and love moved my heart on this day, ten years later.  We will never forget. 




No comments: