Monday, January 27, 2014

The Time of Zwischen

I came across this blog post the other day and thought it so aptly described how I'm feeling lately. It was such a good reminder for me not to wish away the remaining days of my much-prayed-for pregnancy but to enjoy the special moments I have left when it's just me and this little one, connected to each other, feeling each other's movements and growing together. What an amazing miracle! 
"Germans have a word, zwischen, which means between. I’ve co-opted that word for my own obstetrical uses. When I sense the discomfort and tension of late pregnancy in my clients, I suggest that they are now in The Time of Zwischen. The time of in between, where the opening begins. Giving it a name gives it dimension, an experience closer to wonder than endurance....We are not a culture that waits for anything, nor are we believers in normal birth; waiting for a baby can feel like insanity. Giving this a name points her toward listening and developing her own intuition. That, in turn, is a powerful training ground for motherhood."
Much like other times of anticipation in my life, I've found the greater joy in the "tension of the unknown," that space in between the before and after of the moment you've anticipated, because it's in that tension that I've learned (and continue to learn) how to trust in the Lord, trust His timing, and seek peace, even when all I want is resolution or an end to the tension. 

There are two things I know to be true right now: 1) This little one will come when he/she is ready and the timing is just right for them, and 2) We have done everything we can to prepare for their arrival and are in great hands with our health care providers. The rest is up to providence! What good does it do me to wish away the hours, rather than enjoy each moment I have? 

The challenge has been set before me. I will chose this "Time of Zwischen" and enter it with open arms.


(Tagaytay, Philippines, February 2013)

Psalm 27:14 - "Wait for the Lord; Be strong, and let your heart take courage; yes, wait for the Lord." 

2 comments:

emily said...

I love this! so, so true. these last few weeks with baby inside are so precious...soak them up! xoxo :)

Laura said...

Doing my best! =)