Sunday, February 22, 2009

My First Opera

This weekend, a friend of ours came up from NYC for a quick visit, and he and Brian went for a test run on the Boston Marathon Course.

We rented a car to drop them off at the beginning of the course, so on the way back, I found myself (with a Starbucks tall skinny cinnamon dolce latte in hand) browsing the aisles at TJ Maxx. Loved it.

Later that day, I got a surprise call from a friend (she's the sister of one of my colleagues), and she said she had some extra tickets to the opera. I have never been to the opera, but I've always wanted to go, so I got dressed up and headed downtown.



Rebecca is studying opera at the New England Conservatory of Music - and she had the lead in the opera I went to see! It wasn't your typical opera. The performance included two, one-act operas instead of one, three + hour show, and it was in English. I saw "The Medium" written by Gian Carlo Menotti and "Trouble in Tahiti" by Leonard Bernstein. Rebecca was AMAZING - and I had a great first time at the opera. As for my singing career, I think I'll stick to singing in the shower.



Me and Rebecca in the alley backstage after the performance

No comments: