So, a colleague down here has been generous enough to let us borrow his car while he's traveling for work (he does quite a bit of traveling throughout the year). The only problem? It's a stick shift, and only one of us in this family can drive a stick shift (and it's not me).
A few days ago, when we realized that Brian would be out of town (first round of med schools interviews next week - yippee!), Brian thought now would be a good time to give me a crash course so I could learn how to drive this car by the time he leaves next week. (How do you say "I am terrified" in Spanish?) It's terrifying.
Not only do I have to drive defensively in a new city, but I'm also trying to drive with two feet and three different pedals. Guess how many times I've already stalled out the car. I'll give you a hint. It's definitely more than one.
Today is Day 3 of our driving lesson, and I've successfully (definition of success in this case: continued moving forward, did not crash into another person or car, and stalled out only a few times) made it around the block and *almost* to the grocery store. However, I'm still totally freaked out when I drive! I have a pit in my stomach the entire time.
Has anyone else ever tried to learn driving stick after they already know how to drive automatic? I mean, learning Spanish is one thing, but trying to learn a "second language" for driving is another! However, my only other option is walking everywhere when Brian is gone (which I actually enjoy doing - great exercise and a good way to explore!) but that would include carrying our groceries back about a mile down the road. Harrumpfh.
14 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment